This recipe makes two generous portions for you and your sweetie (or you and you later on).
If you are using boxed pasta, start at step 10 for sauce.
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 whole egg and 2 egg yolks
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/4 white wine
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Measure out your flour on a flat surface and create a well in the center of the pile with your fingers.
2. Crack the first egg in the center of the well and the separate the yolks of the other eggs and add to the center of your well.
3. Sprinkle a pinch of salt onto your eggs.
4. Using a fork, gently mix the eggs, gradually pushing flour from the sides of the well into the center until all of the flour is incorporated. Once the egg is no longer in danger of falling off the table, scrape off your fork and switch to mixing with your hands. You should try to incorporate as much of the flour into the dough as possible.
5. Once your dough comes together to form a dry dough, knead for about 10 minutes by hand.
6. Once the dough is smooth and elastic, wrap the ball in plastic wrap and set aside for at least 15 minutes.
7. Once your dough is nice and rested, cut into quarters and roll out your dough starting on the widest setting on your pasta machine and gradually increase to about a 7.
8. Once your have rolled out all four quarters into sheets, mount your fettuccini attachment and feed each sheet through. If you don't have a fettuccini attachment, you can roll the sheet up tightly and cut equal strips with a knife.
9. While you are boiling the water, start on the sauce
10. Sautee butter in a pan and add the spices.
11. Once the spices become fragrant, add the wine and simmer for about 3 minutes until the alcohol has cooked off.
12. Add the cream and at this point boil the pasta.
13. Once the pasta is cooked, spoon the pasta water into the sauce and stir to combine.
14. Turn off the heat and add the cheese.
15. Drain the pasta and add to the sauce, tossing to combine.
16. Serve immediately with extra parmesan and fresh pepper on top.